Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Attempt

This last weekend I attempted to make homemade yogurt. I am not the type to really do things like this, but it seemed easy enough. I put a gallon of whole milk in my crock pot and cooked on low for 3 hours. Then I let it sit for another 3 hours. Next, I added a cup of plain yogurt to the mixture. Then I wrapped the whole thing in a large beach towel and let it be for a whole night.
I need a final picture, but the last step I wasn't able to really do. That is strain it so you have the good thick stuff. It is like Greek yogurt, but a lot cheaper. So here is where I need some help. How would you strain the yogurt? If you have a thought let me know. I have three containers full of yogurt, but it is a little runny and needs to be strained.

3 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

You're supposed to strain it with a cheesecloth. That's all I know! Good luck!

Lindy PRD said...

Yeah, cheesecloth is right. I've seen it at the grocery store, but sometimes it seems like the cloth mesh weave is too loose. I have made butter and squeezed out the liquid with a potato sack dish cloth that was washed with scent free detergent so it didn't transfer the smell of Tide or something. I got my potato sack dish cloths from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Anonymous said...

You can line a mesh strainer with hood ol' paper towels. Place the strainer over a bowl that has some clearance so the liquid can drip out. I do this all he time!